History abounds in our beautiful German town of Hermann Missouri which is why our museums are a perfect stop on your city tour. Each one has it’s own specific purpose. Whether to inform you of the history of the town, or perhaps how the children spent their days in school, these museums convey the rich history of Hermann and will likely keep you talking for the rest of your visit and even afterwards.
- Deutchheim State Historic Site – This building will tell you a story. When a group of Germans came and settled in Hermann, they brought with them the traditions and stories of their heritage. This museum captures those experiences in pictures and artifacts that will amaze you. Luckily, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources has sponsored this site and continues to maintain its history and legacy.
- Historic Hermann Museum at the German School – Preserving Hermann’s heritage for future generations. Built in 1871. Used as an elementary school until 1955. The museum is home to seven rooms full of historical treasures, plus a view of the clock tower mechanism, and delightful gift shop.
- Gasconade County Historical Society Archives and Records Center – Directly in the middle of downtown Hermann Missouri sits this historic building. It still holds many of the genealogical records today for interested parties visiting the site and Hermann. Volunteers are usually on site to help you with any historical records you seek to find.
- Gasconade County Courthouse – Despite many efforts to build new buildings with governmental funds, Hermann Missouri strayed from that ideology when building this monumental construction. Built entirely with private funding, the courthouse was dedicated on July 18, 1898 and is still used today.
- The White House Hotel – Built in 1868, if the White House Hotel had walls that could talk, you would be listening for a lifetime. Each of the 36 rooms holds a piece of history and you can enjoy it through a self-guided tour or get a group together and take an authentic lantern tour.
- Hermann Farm – The Hermann Farm is a recent addition to the list of museums but is certainly not the least. When visiting the farm you can experience a whole new life and learn about the inner-workings of life on the farm and the history in Hermann.
It’s tough to choose which Hermann museum to experience but regardless of what your historical preference, you can take away a piece of history of the old Hermann town in each of them. Click on the link to see a list of the Hermann Missouri museums.