Among the first settlers in Hermann were 33 Catholics. Although they had hoped to build a church as early as 1840, construction on the stone church did not begin until 1845. Work was completed in 1850, one year after the arrival of the first duly appointed pastor.
The first church, built on the site of the present church but situated from north to south, was 50 feet long and 36 feet wide. The church was enlarged in 1866 by a 14-foot brick addition on the south side. The addition served as the sanctuary and sacristy.
In 1875, the Franciscan Friars of the Sacred Heart Province (St. Louis) took charge of the parish. Among them were very talented lay brothers who drew up plans to remodel the interior of the church. A bell tower, which still stands today, was constructed for the old church around 1900. Two of the brothers carved the large altars for that church from locally grown butternut trees. The altars were moved to the present church when it was erected in 1916.
The stained glass windows were purchased in 1924. Ten were made in Germany. The windows depict the Seven Corporal and Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy. The Rose Window at the rear of the church was also installed in 1924.